• Self-catering Cottages
• Hiking Route to Ontongs Cave
• Mountain Bike Trail
• Freshwater Angling in Voëlvlei Dam
• Small variety of game can be seen • Non Motorised Water sport
• Bird Watching
• Fynbos with proteas
• Incredible views for the photographer
• Our own herd of wild ponies
• Farm is organic and eco friendly managed
Our cosy self-catering farm style cottages are situated in a Mandela sanctioned Natural Heritage Site Conservancy Area with spectacular views over the 7km long Voëlvlei Dam, only 1 hours drive from Cape Town. The cottages are private, neat and clean with bedding and all kitchen necessities included, but please bring your own towels.
Solar energy powers the lights and additional oil lamps/candles add to the ambience. It is recommended that you bring a torch with for outside at night.
A wood burning stove/fireplace turns the cottage into a snug and warm haven in winter - the fire wood is included free of charge.
Wake-up to the sound of nature with no TV's, Radios or hairdryers to disturb the peace.
• Safe parking is provided at the Base Camp after signing in at the Silwerfontein Farmhouse.
• Hikers could sleep over on Friday night at the Double Decker Bus Base Camp.
• The bus sleeps 10 (bunk beds with mattresses).
• The cave could accommodate up to 25 people, who will sleep on a sandy bottom (own roll up mattresses must be carried up if so chosen).
• The bus has a gas braai, running water, outside shower (cold) and a flush toilet - no open fires allowed by the Bus Base Camp or in the cave.
• All water, food, bedding, etc. needs to be carried up to the cave for the duration of the stay.
• All dirt generated needs to be removed from the cave and the trail and dumped in the dirt bin at the Base Camp.
• Along the trail is beautiful fynbos and proteas (Natural Heritage Site).
• At the cave is a long drop toilet.
• A guide can be booked for the hike, but you will definitely have the company of the dog Gouda to show you the way - she will gladly accept supper as payment.
A permit needs to be obtained from the Farmhouse at Silwerfontein - a permit holder shall be in possession of a valid angling license (inland water).
A fishing experience can be booked @ R200/day for 2. All extra people + R50/person. Includes all guidance, equipment, bait & transport to the water.
Will even braai your fish for you the evening. Bring only your own picnic.